In the afterglow of a wonderful Thanksgiving trip to New England, I am more able to appreciate what I have in this world. Is it a cliche to be thankful for family? Is it banal to enjoy the company of one's wife and sons and extended relatives? If so, I accept that.
Yet, after all I've been through this year, it would have been easy to roll up in a ball on the floor and let despair take over. Too many people have done just that. And hey, without my family, maybe that would be me, too. Probably not, considering my stubborn streak of deep-seated optimism; but who knows when that streak might break? Sudden unemployment, followed hard by a heart attack, would seem to be a deadly combination, after all.
Here I am, though. Still looking forward. Still refusing to allow despair to seep into my life. And I have to believe that without all the good people in my life -- especially my beautiful wife, Beth -- I just might be one of those for whom the holidays serve only to exacerbate the desperate solitude we all feel at one time or another.
So, thank you everyone. For everything.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment