This is the dream, I guess. I've always wanted time to focus on fiction, and now I have it. The time, that is. The "focus" is a little more of a challenge.
I'm up to it so far, though. In two days post-CBSSports.com I've completed two short stories. They aren't bad, either. That makes three short stories completed in three-plus weeks. Not a bad pace. I'm building a body of work, and I'm making up for lost time.
Now, I need to keep it up. And I need to start sending these off to contests and magazines. Not that I expect much success right away. These stories are adequate, but my future stories should be better. I'm such a novice at this. I know what's good, and I know what's OK. My stories so far are only OK.
The first one is around 3,700 words and is about the nature of luck and how it can influence our lives. The second one is around 1,400 words and is about an adolescent boy's first close experience with death. The third one is around 1,300 words and is about how social media affects the 21st century dating scene.
They're all pretty good. Simple little stories designed to get my fingers moving on the keyboard.
I think I can write good stories. I think I might even be able to sell them one day. Then, as I begin to find my voice, I can return to the work of novel writing, which is what I've always, always wanted to do.
For now, though, I'll stay patient. And I'll stay busy. Which is, in fact, the dream.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment