One of my goals when I became a sportswriter in 1986 was to become a voter in baseball's Hall of Fame. In order to become a voter, a sportswriter must maintain membership in the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) for 10 consecutive seasons. I got my decade in this year, which made me eligible to vote for the first time.
My situation was complicated by my layoff from the Tampa Tribune in July. The day after I was let go, I e-mailed BBWAA secretary/treasurer Jack O'Connell, wondering whether the loss of my job affected my status as a Hall of Fame voter. As it turned out, because my dues were paid for this season, I maintain my status as a voter even though I no longer work for the newspaper.
Unfortunately, unless I join another news organization and maintain my membership in the BBWAA, this might be the only year I get to cast a ballot. So, I might only enjoy briefly one of the great privileges afforded members of my chosen profession.
My ballot came in the mail today. It included a letter from Jeff Idelson, president of the National Baseball Hall of Fame; a page showing how last year's voters cast their ballots; a ballot with the 23 eligible players; biographical information on the 23 eligible players; a stamped envelope in which to return my marked ballot; and on the back of Idelson's letter, an explanation of voting rules.
The voting rule that I wrote most about as the steroid era deepened over the past five years was Rule No. 5: "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."
The italics and boldface type were inserted by me. You won't find these qualities included in the rules for election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In fact, the roomful of reporters who elect the NFL's greats each winter are specifically reminded only to consider a player's contributions ON THE FIELD.
We baseball writers have to take the measure of the man, as well as the player. That's a complicated thing. Who are we to judge based on the character of a fellow human being? Still, that's the rule. Character counts. It's a blurred line, though. Was Ty Cobb a good guy? Based on everything we think we know today about the man, not really. Yet, was he a Hall of Famer? You bet.
So, it's time to ponder my vote. Here are the eligible players, in alphabetical order: Harold Baines, Jay Bell, Bert Blyleven, David Cone, Andre Dawson, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Jesse Orosco, Dave Parker, Dan Plesac, Tim Raines, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams.
The only players on the list I did not see play in person were Blyleven, John, Mattingly and Rice. I wrote often about Greg Vaughn, a former Devil Rays outfielder. I followed the career of one, Dale Murphy, as closely as any player I can recall (my cat's name is Murphy because of him). I'll carefully consider the qualifications of each before I mark my ballot. I can vote for no more than 10, and I'm not required to vote for any of them.
Meanwhile, I am open to advice from anyone who cares to weigh in on the merits of any of the 23. I can't promise I'll take that advice, but I will listen and consider everything I hear and read before I send off my ballot in time to meet the deadline of Dec. 31.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Carter:
My .02 and only my .02...
No freakin' way: Jay Bell, Ron Gant, Jesse Orosco, Dave Parker, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams.
No with prejudice: Mark McGwire (if steroids bother you), Lee Smith, (the exemplar of the cheap save).
No, regretfully: Harold Baines, David Cone, Mark Grace, Don Mattingly.
Yes, AND the foul...Rickey Henderson.
Yes with case: Bert Blyleven (clearly hurt by lack of media market background; best curveball outside of Koufax; numbers are strong); Andre Dawson (I've never understood why he's not in already; could do everything you ask of a star player); Tim Raines (and I know he'll get jobbed this year but I hope he stays on the ballot because he was an excellent outfielder for years); Alan Trammell (Peter Gammons and Joe Posnanski say so--he was jobbed out of the 1984 MVP that he richly deserved {Willie Hernandez? Seriously?} and that would be enough for most voters.
AND Jim Rice -- this is hard for me because I've always considered him the right-on-the-cusp guy. If you're better than Rice, you get in; if not, then you don't. But I think the cusp guy should be in.
MAYBE: Tommy John (hey, if Don Sutton is in...); Jack Morris (on the one hand, he was a great big-game pitcher in Game 7s but, oy, those career numbers like ERA); Dale Murphy (like Mattingly, the knock is that he wasn't great enough long enough, but I think he was so much better for that amazing run of his, I could see saying yes.)
carter
Please strongly consider voting for JIm Rice. In what might be your last vote vote for a man in his Last vote. It is his last time on the ballot. I know that you mentioned that you did not see him play but he led the AL in h,hr,rbi,slg total bases and almost every offensive category from 1975-86. He also led the league in assist over those 10 years. I would vote for rice henderson dawson and blyleven murphy and rains but the only vote that would make a difference would be the Jim Rice vote. Henderson is a shoe in first ballot lock and Blyleven and Dawson have gained momentem in the vote but will need a couple of more years to gain the required %. Rice missed by 2.5 percnt last year. Only a handful of votes were needed. This in his last year on the ballot your vote could put him in or keep him out,one last stat to look at . He finished in the top 5 for mvp 6 times in his career the other 9 who did it and are eligible for the hof are in the hof. Vote for Rice and put him in he belongs and this is his last chance.
Thanks Charlie
http://raines30.com
Post a Comment