In 1999, 12 years after I graduated from high school and seven years after I was hired by the Tampa Tribune, I received my degree in mass communications from the University of South Florida. When I stopped being a full-time student in 1993, I needed only a few credits to graduate. But I had a job; I figured the degree would only be a redundancy I could not afford (financially). I was a poor student, in more ways than one.
I know now how important it was to actually finish school. It wasn't so much about what I was learning in the classes as it was about making a plan for my education and seeing it to fruition. I learned most of what I know about journalism from hands-on experience, but I learned most of what I know about myself during my haphazard college career.
And somewhere in the recesses of my time-addled brain, I seem to recall the softest of warnings being sounded in the course of my college career. This was the late 1980s and early 1990s, before the Internet had become so prevalent and before many folks outside of Microsoft's offices in Redmond, Wash., had any inkling of the meanings of acronyms like HTML, SEO or SERP. Words like "blog" and "iTunes" and "podcast" had not been invented. Yet, some professors spoke of the changing nature of journalism. They spoke of it as an eventuality, something relatively far in the future to ponder while mastering the soon-to-be-antiquated skills being taught in J-school. I mean, think about this: In 1991, I took a required class in photography, wherein we learned the art of film development. When's the last time you developed film? Or even used film?
The point is this: While there was a vague uneasiness at the academic level regarding the future of journalism, nothing was done about it in the early 1990s -- when it would have mattered to so many thousands of future journalists.
Should someone have known? Should some bold, visionary dean of a J-school somewhere in the land have shaken the system and forged a new way of learning? For all I know, that might have been happening at top-flight places like Missouri and North Carolina. But at the two J-schools I attended, Florida and South Florida, there was very little in the way of useful, practical vision. There was solid, fundamentally grounded education, but it was based on a model that, before its students would reach their 40s, would become as irrelevant as vinyl records.
Now, would some new way of learning about the practice of journalism have changed the disastrous business model that was the real reason newspapers died in 2008? I doubt that; publishers and owners made too much money on newspapers for too many years to let the old way of doing business give way gracefully to some new, perhaps less-profitable paradigm. So, the profession died, and our society must live with the consequences of a government under the so-so scrutiny of a terribly weakened watch dog.
Would knowing in 1991 what I know now about the way readers/viewers/listeners/Web surfers receive their news have made me a better writer? No. But it might have allowed me and the thousands of other out-of-work writers to better position ourselves in our chosen fields. Was it the University of Florida and the University of South Florida's responsibility to prepare me for a future in journalism? You bet it was, at least in part. The responsibility also rested with me, and with all journalism students whose careers stretched out so promisingly before them in the early '90s.
That was an empty promise. I confess, I had no idea it would happen in my lifetime. If I had, I would have followed my fellow high school nitwits to law school. Instead, I'll continue to scramble to find a way to make the skills I learned and honed for 22 years relevant. Perhaps it's not too late, but it sure would have been nice to have received a meaningful warning all those years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Are you suggesting that USF owes us money for our core classes as Journalism majors? I like that idea.
I wonder what current Journalism students are being taught. Are they learning that they have to be savvy enough to create multiple streams of income in the future?
What is the future of journalism?
Hey, Greg. Actually, I blame myself as much as anyone or anything. But blame's not the point; it's more of a lament. The future? Good God. I'd say we're shaping it right now with this medium and with the daily, personal, mini-news letters we all have on Facebook. Those status updates are headlines on our lives, written by us for our own individualized niche market. That's the future. That, and Five Guys burgers. Mmmm ... Five Guys burgers (insert Homer slobber sound effect).
Hi, Carter -- you don't know me, but we are season ticket holders for the Rays and remember fondly when you'd do the "ask the Rays" feature at the games.
My son (who is 9) is also named Carter, so that's part of why we remember you so well! Carter wants, more than anything, to be a sports journalist so that he can one day vote for the Hall of Fame inductees. So I went googling for voting info tonight and found your blog.
I'm so sorry to hear about your leaving the Trib. My best friend in college works for USA Today and she says it's the scariest thing she's ever seen. And we both lived through Hurricane Camille on the Gulf Coast!
I wrote for my school paper in college, and I've always admired journalists -- it worries me greatly what is going on right now -- not just for the economy, although that is certainly troublesome enough -- but for our overall society.
This year my Carter was old enough to ask about Santa, and I couldn't lie -- so I found the Yes, Virginia editorial in the Newseum's website -- and we read it together and talked about it. A piece of writing like that can have a profound affect on the world, and it makes me sadder than I can say to think there will be fewer of those kinds of writers nurtured along. The web will certainly have some good stuff -- but it's a lot of crap, too, unfortunately.
Anyway -- just commiserating on a Monday night when I can't sleep -- I agree with you about Five Burgers though --
Yay for Rickey Henderson! Who is the jerk who didn't vote for him? I'd have voted for him just to hear the speech!!!
Wishing you a speedy re-entry -- if you ever want to be a college textbook rep -- let me know -- this is a disintegrating industry, too, I'm afraid -- but much much slower -- should be good for Gen Xers to make it to retirement at least.
Claire Brantley
Pearson Education
Post a Comment